Wisdom teeth, also known as third molars, are the final set of teeth to erupt in our mouths, usually between the ages of 17 and 25. While for some individuals, these teeth come in correctly and cause no issues, many people aren't this fortunate. Due to space restrictions or misalignment, wisdom teeth often become impacted or partially erupted, leading to pain, infection, or damage to surrounding teeth. In such cases, wisdom teeth removal becomes necessary.
At Maple Smiles Dentistry, we are committed to helping our patients understand the causes, symptoms and potential problems associated with wisdom teeth. Led by Dr. Chandanjit S Sra, our team of experienced dental professionals provides comprehensive dental services, including wisdom teeth removal, in our state-of-the-art office located in Chilliwack. We prioritise the comfort and well-being of our patients by utilising advanced dental technologies and sedation options for a seamless and comfortable extraction experience.
Whether your dentist has recommended extraction or you're feeling discomfort in the back of your mouth, it's essential to understand what's being done and why. Let's walk you through the wisdom tooth removal journey at Maple Smiles Dentistry and highlight how we prioritise your oral health and comfort throughout the process.
Why Wisdom Teeth Need to Be Removed
There are several reasons why wisdom teeth may need to be removed, including:
1. Impacted Wisdom Teeth: When there isn't enough space in the jaw for wisdom teeth to erupt, they can become impacted, meaning they are trapped beneath the gum or bone. Impacted teeth can cause pain, swelling, and infection in the surrounding tissue.
2. Partially Erupted Wisdom Teeth: Some wisdom teeth only partially erupt through the gum, creating a flap of gum tissue that can collect food particles and bacteria. This situation can lead to a painful condition called pericoronitis and cause the gums to become inflamed or infected.
3. Damage to Nearby Teeth: As wisdom teeth grow, their roots can push against the neighbouring teeth, resulting in damage, decay, or misalignment.
4. Cysts and Tumours: Impacted wisdom teeth can lead to the formation of cysts or tumours in the jawbone, which can result in bone or tooth damage if left untreated.
The Right Time for Wisdom Teeth Removal
The ideal time to remove wisdom teeth depends on the individual and the specific issue they are facing. However, generally, dentists recommend addressing potential wisdom teeth issues sooner rather than later, as extraction tends to be easier and have fewer complications for younger patients. In most cases, wisdom teeth removal is recommended between the ages of 17 and 25 when the roots have not fully formed, and recovery is quicker.
The Process of Wisdom Teeth Extraction at Maple Smiles Dentistry
The wisdom teeth removal process at Maple Smiles Dentistry is carried out by our experienced dental team in a comfortable and state-of-the-art setting. Here's a brief overview of the extraction process:
1. Consultation and Assessment: During an initial consultation, Dr. Chandanjit S Sra will perform a thorough examination, including X-rays, to assess your wisdom teeth and determine the need for extraction.
2. Sedation Options: Depending on the complexity of the extraction and the patient's comfort level, various sedation options will be considered, such as local anaesthesia, nitrous oxide, or IV sedation.
3. Extraction Procedure: Our dental team will carefully perform the extraction, making a small incision in the gum to access the wisdom tooth, removing the tooth (in some cases, the tooth may need to be sectioned), and suturing the incision site to promote healing.
Post-Extraction Care and Recovery
The recovery process from wisdom teeth extraction typically takes a few days to a week, depending on the complexity of the procedure. To ensure a smooth recovery, follow these tips:
1. Take prescribed pain relief medication, as directed by your dentist, to manage discomfort.
2. Apply ice to the outside of your mouth in 20-minute intervals to reduce swelling.
3. Maintain proper oral hygiene, being careful not to disturb the extraction site.
4. Stick to a soft-food diet for the first few days, gradually introducing more solid foods as comfort allows.
What to Expect during Your Wisdom Teeth Removal at Maple Smiles Dentistry
Wisdom teeth removal is a common dental procedure designed to prevent complications and maintain your overall oral health. At Maple Smiles Dentistry, we strive to ensure your comfort and well-being throughout the entire extraction process, from consultation to aftercare. Trust our experienced team, led by Dr. Chandanjit S Sra, to provide the guidance and care you need during your wisdom teeth removal journey.
If you're experiencing discomfort due to your wisdom teeth or have been advised to consider extraction, don't hesitate to reach out to one of the best dental clinics in Chilliwack, Maple Smiles Dentistry. Schedule your consultation today and take the first step towards ensuring the health and longevity of your smile.