A beautiful, radiant smile is a powerful asset, and cosmetic dentistry has made it possible for everyone to get the perfect smile they desire. One of the most effective and often overlooked cosmetic dental treatments is inlays and onlays. These restorative options can restore the appearance and function of your teeth, giving you a stunning smile that lasts. In this blog section, we will delve into the beautiful world of inlays and onlays, discussing their benefits, the process of getting them, and how they can transform your smile for the better.
What Are Inlays and Onlays?
Inlays and onlays are custom-made dental restorations used to repair teeth that have mild to moderate decay or damage. They are an excellent alternative to traditional dental fillings and dental crowns, offering a more conservative and durable solution for teeth restoration. Inlays and onlays are typically made from porcelain, composite resin, or gold, but porcelain is the most popular choice due to its natural appearance and durability.
The main difference between inlays and onlays lies in the area of the tooth they cover. Inlays repair the damaged area within the cusps or projections of the tooth, while onlays repair the damage that extends beyond the points, often covering a larger surface area of the tooth.
Benefits of Inlays and Onlays
These cosmetic dentistry solutions offer numerous benefits compared to traditional dental fillings and crowns:
- Conservative treatment: Inlays and onlays require less removal of healthy tooth structure than dental crowns, preserving more of your natural tooth and promoting long-term oral health.
- Enhanced strength: Inlays and onlays are bonded directly to the tooth, providing additional strength and support, making them more durable than traditional fillings.
- Aesthetics: Porcelain inlays and onlays closely resemble the natural appearance of your teeth, blending seamlessly with your smile and providing a more aesthetically pleasing result.
- Long-lasting: With proper care and maintenance, inlays and onlays can last for many years, making them a cost-effective solution for restoring your teeth.
The Process of Getting Inlays and Onlays
Typically, getting inlays or onlays requires two dental visits. Here's what you can expect during the procedure:
- Initial consultation: During your first appointment, your dentist will examine your teeth and determine if inlays or onlays are the best solutions for your dental needs. They will then prepare the tooth by removing any decay or damaged areas and cleaning it thoroughly.
- Impressions and temporary restoration: Once the tooth is prepared, your dentist will take an impression of the tooth, which will be sent to a dental laboratory to create your custom inlay or onlay. Meanwhile, your dentist will place a temporary filling to protect your tooth until the permanent restoration is ready.
- Fitting the inlay or onlay: During your second appointment, your dentist will remove the temporary filling and check the fit and colour of the inlay or onlay. If everything is satisfactory, they will bond the inlay or onlay to your tooth with a strong dental adhesive and polish it to ensure a smooth and comfortable fit.
- Aftercare: It is essential to maintain good oral hygiene practices, including regular brushing, flossing, and dental check-ups to ensure the longevity of your inlay or onlay.
Inlays and onlays are excellent choices for those looking to restore their teeth's appearance and functionality with a conservative, durable solution. By opting for this cosmetic dental treatment, you can enjoy a radiant, healthy smile that will leave a lasting impression. If inlays or onlays are the right choices, consult your dentist to discuss your options and begin your journey toward a more beautiful and confident smile.
If you are considering getting cosmetic dental treatments, trust only Maple Smiles Dentistry. We will carefully diagnose your oral problem to provide the best solution for your needs. Schedule a consultation now!